Thursday, December 18, 2008

Doctor Chutzpah
I just tried to make a doctor's appointment and was told the first available date is in late February. Jeez, I'm glad I am not dying. Doctors' collective arrogance never stops amazing me. The first question in any doctor's office is never how you are feeling, but instead it's about your insurance. Doctors and their staff have no problem keeping you waiting for extended periods - I'd love to send a doctor a bill for the time wasted during business hours sitting in a waiting room or an exam room - but all have draconian policies about missed appointments or arriving late for an appointment. And their billing is a freaking mystery - no posted prices and no negotiation - there must be a class on opaque pricing in medical school. OK, I feel better.

No comments: